History 2018-01-25T16:48:41+00:00
  • 1940’s – The area was a ferry landing on the south shore of the North Saskatchewan at the end of Buck Creek Road.

  • 1950’s – William Roos of Breton and Bruce Cropley of Lindale worked with the Breton recreation board on an idea of building the park

  • 1960’s – Theo Westling becomes chairman of the Leduc recreation board

  • 1978 – Theo Westling received an “Energize 78 Volunteer Award”

  • 1983 – Theo Westling joins William Roos and Bruce Cropley to begin the process of getting funding for the park

  • 1984 – The County of Leduc and Alberta Provincial Recreation Board announce funding. The name Willey West is selected after a contest to name the park. It was named after William Roos Bruce Cropley Theo Westling

  • 1985 to 1987 – Leduc County wrestles with the cost of the access road into the park

  • 1988 – Municipal District of Brazeau, Improvement District 222 assumes control over road access and Alberta Transportation moves in to complete the road (access to park was closed during construction)

  • 1989 – The park reopens for the May long weekend with 24 hour operators on site

  • 1990 – Willey West officially opens with William Roos and former MLA and project supporter, Shirley Cripps cutting the ceremonial ribbon and opening the park